Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Decorating for Spring

I have a secret: I don't really like Easter decorations.  Bunnies and eggs and chicks in an array of pastel colors just don't really do it for me.  I find the whole concept rather... odd, to say the least.

Maybe I'm put off by it because I don't understand what cute, fuzzy animals have to do with Easter at all.  I would understand decorating for spring- incorporating a few woodland creatures here, a chunk of sparkly fake grass there.  How did that become decorating "for Easter"?

Thank goodness for google!  I started to type in "why are bunnies" and the second autofill/guess was "why are bunnies associated with easter."  I admit, it freaks me out  a bit when google reads my mind.  Once I get past that, it's nice to know that other people are wondering the same thing as me, often enough that google recognizes the beginning of a common query.  With the help of google, my old friend wikipedia brought up a short and sweet article linking rabbits and eggs to fertility, and thus to spring.  From there, I could connect the dots to see "pagan" rituals incorporated into a Christian holiday.  The close proximity of the spring equinox made this easier to do.

Alrighty then.  As a lover of all things Greco-Roman, I can live with this explanation.  It makes sense and this kind of mish-mash of paganism and Christianity is not without precedent.  Armed with this knowledge, I'm trying to be more accepting of all the little Easter chicks and bunnies in my life.  I'd rather celebrate the arrival of spring with fresh colors and budding flowers, hold the adorable woodland creatures.  To each, her own, I guess.

Now to the true purpose of this post: sharing some cute spring/Easter decorations I found in the Easter Entertaining section of Pottery Barn.  Yup, Pottery Barn has seasonal decorations!  Now I'm going to be obsessed with checking back every time we get remotely close to a holiday of any sort.  That is how much I love (looking at) Pottery Barn stuff.

I know I said I don't love bunnies, but isn't the overall feel of this picture so delightful.  I really need to make cupcakes with white icing this year!
Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

PS: If that's not really how google works, please don't enlighten me.  If it really is reading my brain, I don't want to know.  If it senses that I'm writing a post with the words "easter" and "bunny" and assumes I'm going to ask a related question, I definitely don't want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment